Wednesday, February 26, 2014

PUBLIC SERVICE


PUBLIC SERVICE

I volunteer as a public service. This past year I volunteered to judge a school competition for the Family, Career, and Community Leaders of America (FCCLA). I judged one of their speaking contests. Everyone should take time out of their busy schedules to encourage young people in their pursuits. We were encouraged when we were younger and we should do likewise.

God Bless the Volunteers who pass on the things they believe the next generation should know. There should be more of them around. I know I volunteered when my children were in school, but now that I have grandchildren, I occasionally get pressed into service on some new endeavor. I try to be a cheerful volunteer. I have been around people who have not made that commitment to cheer, and they will make everyone miserable.

I want the next generation to be better than mine was. As a boomer, I have done my best to pave the way for new ways of questioning the status quo. There is nothing sacred about the past. There were not good ol’ days. There were days of my youth and mini skirts, fuzzy hairstyles and rusty cars. Those were not the good ol’ days. Days of confusion, belief testing, long conversations searching for values and learning to become the citizen I am today.

Let’s go forth as volunteers and shed light on our pasts. The young people are not going to the dogs. They are survivors and searching as we once searched for their truths and their place. I want to do what I can to show them the way.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment