Tuesday, April 19, 2016

SEVEN DEAD PIRATES


SEVEN DEAD PIRATES:
A Ghost Story
By Linda Bailey
Tundra Books, A Penguin Random House Co., 2015
ISBN: 978-1-77049-815-0
Price: $10.81 in hardcover

This is a ghost story for the eight to twelve year olds. I love a good ghost story so I enjoyed this story right from the start.

In my opinion, it has one of the best openings I have read in a long time.

“It was the worst birthday party Lewis had ever been to. But then, what could you expect when the guest of honor was a corpse?

Okay, so Great Granddad wasn’t exactly a corpse. But he sure looked like one. The old man lay stiff on his back on the narrow bed. His eyes stared sightlessly, and his mouth was fixed open in a round toothless O. If it weren’t for the pink party had, you’d never guess he was alive.”

With that opening, I was set up for an adventure, and that is what this story delivered. Lewis moves into his Great Granddad’s home, has to start a new school, and discovers his room is inhabited by pirate ghosts with a mission. Pirate ghosts with a mission are different from any type of regular haunting you can imagine.

Lewis tackles his problems and wins my affection as a true hero moving on his journey. I don’t want to spoil it for anyone. I want to share the delight as Lewis struggles with the pirates in his room.

I give this story a five out of possible five.

Please comment.
Like me on Facebook: marytkincaidauthor
Follow me on Twitter: @marykincaid2001
Follow me on Pinterest: marytkincaidauthor/blogger
Sign up for newsletter. 

Mary

No comments:

Post a Comment