Wednesday, December 4, 2013

MEDICINE


MEDICINE

I have been wrestling with health issues the past couple of years. Often the problems I am having will be the result of a drug that I am taking that I have a sensitivity too. I will take it awhile and then suddenly I will have some problem that I haven’t experienced before. A terrible red rash on my arms that itches. Diarrhea that keeps me in the house and stops my routine. Dizziness, nausea, the list goes on and on.

I had a bad drug reaction when I was young. I was hospitalized briefly while they tried to figure out what was wrong. I found out I was allergic to a chemical bond. Imagine, an entire chemical drug group. They found it because they had prescribed three drugs out of the group for asthma. An experience I don’t want to repeat.

Today I used all the tools at my disposal. WebMD, the pharmacy function of my drug plan. The pharmacist was very helpful. I would not hesitate to use them if you need them. I at least eliminated the possibility of drug interactions from prescribed drugs. The pharmacist suggested the drug that might be causing me problems. I have an appointment with my doctor to talk to him about this possibility.

What’s the lesson here? Be vigilant. Use all of your tools. Assume responsibility for your health by being sensitive to your body and its needs. Take care of yourself.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment