Wednesday, October 9, 2013

CAUTIONS, WARNINGS


CAUTIONS, WARNINGS

I just purchased a bottle of tarnish remover for sterling silver. I hate it when my earrings start to lose their shine. I am now at the table reading the terrifying label for this product. The warning on the label reads: “Warning: This product contains thiourea, a chemical know to the state of California to cause cancer.”

This statement brings so many questions to mind. Do other states know? I feel pretty sure that if it causes cancer in California it will also cause cancer in Oklahoma. Why define a carcinogen so strangely? Is there something unique about California cancers?

Where do we go to discuss the idiocy of the labeling process?

To my knowledge cancer does not know geography. This product is distributed by a company based in Skokie, IL. Does it cause cancer in Illinois from where it is shipped? Who is regulating the information on this label? I would like to think that some inspector somewhere is looking out for the safety of the consumer who goes to buy silver polish or tarnish remover, but I am afraid that is not the case. Just look at the label.

No comments:

Post a Comment