Wednesday, May 7, 2014

Oklahoma Writers Federation Meeting (OWFI) 2014


Oklahoma Writers Federation Meeting (OWFI) 2014

I experienced the energy of so many writers and speakers. It was amazing. Writers are people who will reach back and help someone who is just starting out. They network and mentor. Their accomplishments are inspirational to the rest of us. Their message of don’t be discouraged, you’ll get there is reassuring. The weekend is just a blur of information and new faces.

I was shepherd to Matrice Hussey, editor at Harlequin Romances. She was a delight and gave a presentation on the varying degrees of romantic writing. It was an eye opener to learn there are so many degrees romance can be depicted. I write for children so my brush with romance is in the library or the bookstore stacks. I am a reader of many different genres and love a good story that works. I guess that I ask myself does it do what the writer wanted? Did it do it well?

I met Eloisa James the best selling author of romances. She is a wonderful funny woman who gave a delightful keynote speech about her journey to success. She emphasized the writer is 50% business person and 50% writer/creator. It was the first time I had thought of it in this manner. I have been writing without thinking about the business side of it.

Today I am adjusting my internal landscape to reflect these new realities that I have learned. It will take me time to process all of the implications of what I have heard. But I am going to make changes.
 

5 comments:

  1. I'm smiling and nodding my head. Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make the same resolution?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I appreciated getting to be in the same suite with you and ride with you on the return to "the real world"... :) Thank you for the laughter we shared. It was great to get to know better the people who sit in chairs near us at our meetings. And, yes, there are things I need to apply as I try to balance writing with the rest of life's great opportunities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It really was invigorating, Mary - I always return home inspired and ready to knock out some good (hopefully!) writing! And seeing Barbara's pic above, I just have to gloat one more time how I managed to snag TWO of her amazing baskets - one through the auction and one through the centerpiece raffle. Just one more enjoyable part of the conference experience!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a great time with my sister writers. My sisters are some of the funniest people I know. It was great to get to know you over who will use the bathroom. Then there was stealth Janice who could shower before any of us woke up. Let's get busy.

    ReplyDelete